It’s Got to Get Better

(Getty Images for NASCAR)

(Getty Images for NASCAR)

Clinton, South Carolina, Friday, July 3, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

I’m looking forward to the Coke Zero 400. I wish it wasn’t on Sunday night and don’t understand why it’s not the night before. I can only assume it’s something TV wanted, but one reason I’m waiting for the race with vibrant anticipation is that NBC is going to televise it, and I don’t know how that’s going to go, but I’m ready for a change.

I hope the coverage will be outfoxed. Fox’s coverage, that is.

That’s asking a lot, though.

Maybe NBC will be more interested in what happens instead of what it and NASCAR wants me to see.

Maybe NBC’s announcers won’t freeze up any time something controversial happens.

Maybe NBC will treat it as a sporting invent instead of the world’s silliest situation comedy.

Maybe NBC won’t hide the crowd. And debris. And rebel flags. Maybe NBC will give those of us at home an honest take on what happens.

(Getty Images for NASCAR.)

(Getty Images for NASCAR.)

I understand the difference between my job and theirs. Television is in it for ratings, and that entails a certain promotional bent. It’s no fairer to ask television to do a three-part series entitled “Why the Racing Sucks” than it is to expect the Atlanta Braves’ announcers to come out against a new suburban stadium.

My job is just to write what happens, based on what I see. It’s not been easy at home to see through the Fox whitewash.

I’m optimistic the coverage is going to get better. It’s a modest expectation.

Meanwhile, I’m going to celebrate America, perhaps even by watching the Xfinity Series race at home. I have no plans of attending someone’s barbecue, largely because no such opportunity has been offered, and I’m ill equipped to throw a party on my own.

I’ll probably do what I always do: write, watch sports and movies, play my guitar, read a book, and promote my upcoming novel in advance of its release. When I traveled to most of the races, I missed most of the holidays others celebrated, and that’s still the case.

My life’s rewarding. I’m doing what I want. I’m trying hard to be successful at it, and that’s a decent way to honor America, independence, freedom, and liberty.

As Augustus Macrae once said, “They’s worse thangs.”

I’m writing these godforsaken novels, so I hope at least somebody reads them. Here’s your shot: http://www.amazon.com/Monte-Dutton/e/B005H3B144/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1416767492&sr=8-1

This entry was posted in NASCAR and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to It’s Got to Get Better

1. Ron Fleshman says:

I just thank the supreme being that you still do this somewhere I can read it. Miss you at the three tracks info to and miss your unique view on the happenings at the track, but I love your novels (will Amazon have Crazy?) and blogs. When Poole died and you quit it left a void.

Yes. Crazy is being published by Amazon (factory team). And I didn’t quit. My job got eliminated.

3. Marti says:

Happy Holiday!
    I too am curious and hopeful that NBC coverage will be professional and reflect the level of competition that NASCAR presents (just as F1 and IndyCar coverage by NBC). I don’t want or need asinine segments in the prerace shows. I look to them to give me a feel for what could be expected and some technical information (wish Reynolds was hired away from Fox).
    I am sad that the race is scheduled for Sunday night (7:45p.m.) given that now Sunday night (7:00p.m.) the U.S. Women’s Socer Team is playing against Japan for the world championship.

4. Ron Fleshman says:

I knew that. RIF’d. Keep us posted on the date you can order.

Advance orders available Monday. Release date Tuesday, July 21.

6. kb says:

I think people are so jazzed that the Waltrip brothers will not be involved, and who can blame them. But any doubts of a less corporate model was put to rest today during the “practices”. My goodness what garbage was being spewed. Jeff Burton being the rather belligerent cheerleader for his lord and masters at Castle Daytona, even Kyle Petty kept pace with the propaganda and I am convinced Steve Letarte coming from HMS knows how to keep his master happy. Total garbage. And Kristen Devota (or whatever her name is) right off the bat foaming at the mouth wanting to start up “the rivalry between the idiot Busch and Kes” right after a truly racing incident (although Kyle did come down and they all agreed)!~~~~Until they came back from a commercial break and Brad was the BAD GUY! Good grief. Gladiators anyone?

7. Wade says:

I’m convinced some network needs to get broadcasters that aren’t part of the good ol boy network. I thought Kyle and Wally did a good job on TNT, but for the most part we really need somebody calling these races who will tell it like it is and not be worried about their standing with the drivers and teams.
    I really liked Darrell Waltrip as a driver, but his race commentary is so hokey and stupid and partner that with McReynold’s tortured English and it was too much to bear.

Your opinion and mine are very close.

9. Richard Rohrer says:

NBC coverage thus far has been very, very disappointing. Lady, the congratulating of NASCAR constantly for doing its job. Nope NASCAR has got to them too.