A Song for Me

I doubt anyone but yours truly is going to sing my latest song, "Scuppernongs & Muscadines." (John Clark photo)

I doubt anyone but yours truly is going to sing my latest song, “Scuppernongs & Muscadines.” (John Clark photo)

My latest song is a strange one.

It started out happy. When I wrote the refrain, I was in a great mood.

Scuppernongs and muscadines / Bubble gum three for a dime / Brown gravy over rice / Orange Crush over ice / That’s the way my world used to be

There it sat for a while. Then, when I wrote the verses, I wasn’t in such a great mood. They were dark. Now what I hope listeners will see is irony. The song makes sense to me, but I’m not exactly objective.

My daddy used to say / You gotta be a man / You gotta pull your weight / You gotta work the land / But every time I tried and failed / He turned away from me / I finally became a man / Too late for him to see

He liked a slug of Sprite / To chase his Rebel Yell / When he slept it off / It was time to give me hell / People say that deep down / He was always proud of me / But secondhand was not a plan / To set my demons free

Now that I am old myself / He doesn’t seem so bad / You’d think sometimes clever rhymes / Were the only ones we had / I wouldn’t have named him Jimmy / But I never had a son / I’ve lost my soul in different roles / And had my share of fun

When I start trying to publish and sell my songs, this one isn’t going to be at the top of the list. Instead of writing it for the world, I wrote it for myself. I’d put it on an album I cut (not that one is forthcoming), but I doubt it’s going to jump right out at an established star.

Therein, of course, lies the rub.

This entry was posted in Music and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A Song for Me

1. Judy B says:

Y’all may have written that song only for yourself but trust me, it reverbrates.

2. Jay says:

Deep, introspective…a little rough around the edges lyrically without hearing the cadence and whatnot.

(I hate days when I do crossword puzzles; I end up hunting for words that end up on the tip of my brain…as I am now.)

For lack of better terminology, I think it could be the inspiration for one heck of a song if you keep chipping away at it…don’t chuck it in the B-side pile just yet.

Also, if time permits – read some Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon books by Spider Robinson. Artistically inspiring in many ways, especially some descriptions of music.

All my yammering aside, are you a huge guy or is that a 3/4 size acoustic? I could never wrap myself around a full size with my frame…ended up giving it to a good friend and stuck with the electric I had.

And, finally, while it’s a bit of a steep learning curve, it’s not impossible at all to cut an acoustic album yourself with little more than software, decent mic’ing, etc. Worth researching, if only to increase exposure on the Internet and have something to pass along to descendants.

Glad you’re still writing…spent last night reading through your entire blog. A lot hits home. 🙂

J

3. Bobi says:

I agree with Judy. Don’t sell yourself short! Reminds me a bit of what I’ve heard about Tim McGraw and his dad.

4. Judy B says:

That’s a sad story, isn’t it? Such a shame Tug didn’t even know he had a son til it was almost too late. At least they got the chance to connect before Tug died.

I’m a huge guy.
    I’ve made homemade CDs before. There are a huge number of videos of me performing on my YouTube page, and I often post them on social media.
    I ALWAYS keep chipping away at my songs. I don’t realize how much they’ve changed until I go back and look at the original lyrics.

6. Jay says:

I grin in your general direction, sir. Full sized guitar is bigger than my torso. Maybe I should’ve stuck with the fiddle.

Kinda effed up, innit? 🙂

Off to YouTube to see what I can find.

Thanks for checking me out.